William Larabee Callender House
The Callender House, a Greek Revival “raised cottage,” is reputed to be the first house in Texas built of pre-cut lumber. It was built in 1855 by Dr. Thomas R. Cocke. The house was purchased by the Callender family in 1870 and was owned by Callenders for over a century. Bertie Callender Stevens, a local music instructor, and her husband, Lloyd M. Stevens, made several additions. NR-1979; RTHL-1962.