St. Mary’s Catholic Church
Victoria’s first church was established by Martin de Leon. It occupied a site on Main Street near the center of the block, currently occupied by the Martin Luther King Federal Building and Post Office. The present Gothic Revival building, which traces its origins to de Leon’s Chapel, was completed in 1904. The original plans, prepared by noted Galveston architect, Nicholas Clayton, were modified somewhat after the building contractor defaulted. Local contractor Bailey Mills resumed construction according to revised plans prepared by San Antonio architects Phelps & King. NR-1986; RTHL-1964.