The Victoria Public School was Victoria’s first public high school. It was designed by Jules Leffland, and originally had three floors. The third floor was of frame construction and housed the library and auditorium. Completed in 1901, the building was renamed Mitchell School immediately following the death of one of the first members of the board of education, J. D. Mitchell. Fires have plagued the structure. The first in 1921 was minor, but a 1935 fire heavily damaged the third floor. Kai Leffland, son of the original architect, was architect for the repairs to the building. A third and more serious fire in 1943 destroyed the third floor and it was never replaced. Fortunately, original plans for the structure still exist, and perhaps it will be restored at some future date.