Memorial Square was part of the original town site of Victoria. Martin de Leon set aside two city blocks to be used as burial grounds. Prior to May 9, 1846, many bodies were buried in home yards, as this was a longstanding custom.
Burials of soldiers in the Texas Revolution took place in 1836.
In 1846, the city passed an ordinance requiring that the dead could no longer be buried “at home,” but must be buried in public burial grounds. Those defying the ordinance were fined $25 for each offense. The space was soon overflowing with graves and land for a new cemetery was purchased across town. As many remains as could be identified were moved to Evergreen Cemetery; however over 230 individuals are still interred here in unmarked graves.