This residence was built circa 1860 for Abraham Levi, an Alsatian immigrant who founded A. Levi & Co., a wholesale grocery, and the A. Levi & Company Bank (later Victoria Bank & Trust). It was used as headquarters for federal troops during the turbulent years of Reconstruction following the Civil War. The Levi family owned the house until 1910, when it was purchased by Mary O’Connor Hallinan. The exquisite parquet floors and several marble fireplaces were added at this time. Mary Hallinan died the following year and the house was purchased by prominent rancher John J. “Jay” Welder (III) who substantially enlarged the structure, adding the Neoclassical Revival porch in the process. NR-1986; RTHL-1965.