J. Ferdinand and Emily McFaddin McCan House
Rancher James McFaddin commissioned the architect Charles Praeger to design this residence as a gift for his daughter, Emily, and her husband, James Ferdinand McCan. Constructed in 1908, this Neoclassical Revival dwelling features a “temple” entrance supported by two-story fluted Ionic columns. Smaller matching columns support wrap-around porches on both levels. McCan was an artist whose murals grace the house’s interior. He also did extensive commissions for the legendary King Ranch families in the 1890s. “Emmie” McCan’s second husband, Royston Nave, was another artist of widely-recognized talent. NR-1986.