J.D. Mitchell House
This beautifully detailed Queen Anne dwelling was completed in January of 1893 as the residence for Joseph D. Mitchell, a successful rancher, naturalist (he enjoyed national recognition as a conchologist and entomologist), civic leader, and legislator. Mitchell was one of the founders of the local public school system, and Mitchell School (see #57) was named after him. After serving for decades as a mortuary, the Mitchell House was stunningly restored in 2009 and now serves as office suites.