Alexander H. Phillips House
This grand Greek Revival dwelling was built in 1851 for Judge Alexander H. Phillips, a local attorney, legislator, and Confederate major. The original bricks were made by slaves on the banks of the Guadalupe River. The Louisiana-inspired residence was the scene of many social events, including a reception for Sam Houston held in 1857. It was significantly enlarged in the early 1890’s, at which time the brick was stuccoed and scored to resemble stone. It was purchased in 1930 by Dr. Walter Wynne Sale, and has remained in the family since that time. It was meticulously restored by noted restoration architect Raiford Stripling in the 1980s. NR-1983; RTHL-1967.