1892 Victoria County Courthouse
This Romanesque Revival structure was designed by noted Texas architect J. Riely Gordon, who enjoyed national fame. The limestone structure, completed in ten months during the calendar year 1892, replaced an earlier courthouse erected in 1849. Public sentiment saved the present building from demolition in the 1960s. A modern courthouse was constructed on its north side in 1967. The 1892 Courthouse, voted one of the ten favorite historic courthouses in Texas, was restored and re-dedicated in 2001 at a cost of $5.6 million. NR-1977; RTHL-1961.