Brownson School

Built on land donated by the widow of banker John M. Brownson (1836-1906) in 1910, this nicely detailed building cost a mere $12,000 to construct. It is referred to in school board minutes as being …

Read More →

M. L. Potash House

This house was built in 1905 for Moses L. and Julia Cohen Potash. Mr. Potash was an accomplished photographer. Julia was a successful milliner. The couple conducted their respective businesses from their building at 118 …

Read More →

Jacob Fox House

Jacob Henry Fox—businessman, farmer, and miller—built a cotton gin and gristmill on this block in 1876. His house on this site was built in the 1860s; it was incorporated into this larg­er house around 1890. …

Read More →

Hill O’Connor-Howard House

This brick Victorian residence was built in 1899 for Joe L. Hill, a prominent local attorney. It was later owned by Virginia Drake O’Connor, but was occupied by the family of George Howard, an O’Connor …

Read More →

Proctor-Vandenberge House

While the early history of this site is fascinating, the house’s prominence dates from the ownership of Frederick Cocke Proctor. In 1893 Proctor, a noted lawyer and son of David Cogswell Proctor, dramatically enlarged the …

Read More →

Edward Reeves Fleming House

This unusual residence was built in 1911 for Ed­ward R. Fleming and his bride, Lillian. Mrs. Fleming was originally from Chicago and the house, designed by James Hull and Charles Praeger, reveals her influence. The …

Read More →

Alexander H. Phillips House

This grand Greek Revival dwelling was built in 1851 for Judge Alexander H. Phillips, a local at­torney, legislator, and Confederate major. The original bricks were made by slaves on the banks of the Guadalupe River. …

Read More →

Robert Lewis Dabney House

Robert Lewis Dabney, Presbyterian theologian and former chief of staff to Stonewall Jackson, entered Victoria’s history at the very end of his life. The Dabneys relocated to Victoria in order to be near their son, …

Read More →

Alexander Lowe House

This is the third site for this residence, which is Greek Revival with Victorian embellishments. Little is known of the house’s origin. It was built in the mid 1800s, probably in another area, and then …

Read More →

Meredith Tatton House

Jack Tatton and his wife, Virginia Hallinan Tatton, commissioned Houston architect John F. Staub to design this house for them in 1937. The building was completed the following year. Modifications to the rear of the …

Read More →