Old Nazareth Academy

Designed by Jules C. Leffland and constructed in 1904, this fanciful Alsatian structure is one of the city’s most important architectural land­marks. It was built to house the convent school of the Sisters of the …

Read More →

Lorenzo Dow Heaton House

This imposing structure dates from 1877. Mr. Heaton was one of three brothers who operated “drug stores” in Indianola, Victoria, and Cuero. The original structure was remodeled circa 1945, at which time the second floor …

Read More →

T.M. O’Connor House

Thomas Marion O’Connor was the son of the legendary cattle king of Texas, Thomas O’Connor. The original Victorian Italianate dwelling was designed by Jules C. Leffland and completed in 1889. After the death of T. …

Read More →

J.D. Mitchell House

This beautifully detailed Queen Anne dwelling was completed in January of 1893 as the residence for Joseph D. Mitchell, a successful rancher, naturalist (he en­joyed national recognition as a conchologist and entomologist), civic leader, and …

Read More →

1892 Victoria County Courthouse

This Romanesque Revival structure was de­signed by noted Texas architect J. Riely Gordon, who enjoyed national fame. The limestone structure, completed in ten months during the calendar year 1892, replaced an earlier courthouse erected in …

Read More →

Lander-Hopkins House

Built in 1910, this structure is an outstanding example of Neoclassical Revival architecture. Well-known local architects James Hull and Charles Praeger collaborated on its design. It was built for Frank B. Lander, a banker, and …

Read More →

Michael Lowery Stoner House

This house is an excellent example of the Craftsman style. Designed by a draftsman at Anchor Lumber Company and completed in 1911 for Micha­el and Nancy Wood Stoner, the house features brack­eted eaves, tapered brick …

Read More →

Joe and Ella Mae Pickering House

The original construction date of this house is unknown. It is believed to have faced Moody Street and was owned by Augustus Fozzard Higgs. Purchased in 1908 by Joseph M. Pickering, owner of Anchor Lumber …

Read More →

J. Ferdinand and Emily McFaddin McCan House

Rancher James McFaddin commis­sioned the architect Charles Praeger to design this residence as a gift for his daughter, Emily, and her husband, James Ferdinand McCan. Con­structed in 1908, this Neoclassical Revival dwell­ing features a “temple” …

Read More →

James A. McFaddin House

This Victorian structure was designed by J. Riely Gordon, one of Texas’ foremost architects, who also designed the 1892 Victoria County Courthouse. The McFaddin House was built in 1890 of Flor­ida pine and cypress. McFaddin …

Read More →