In 1685 the French explorer, Rene' Robert Cavalier, Sieur de La Salle, arrived and established a colony near the southern tip of present day Victoria. Things went poorly for those early colonists.

It would be nearly 140 years from LaSalle's arrival before the Republic of Mexico would approve Don Martin de Leon's request to establish a colony on the lower Guadalupe River in 1824. De Leon named it Villa Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe de Jesus Victoria in honor of Guadalupe Victoria, the first president of Mexico and a friend of de Leon. The town was developed around The Street of Ten Friends, “La Calle de Los Diez Amigos”, named after ten influential and powerful figures in Mexico at the time. Read more...